Pages

Moogly Maker

Moogly Makers

Saturday, April 20, 2013

SPINNING MY WHEELS

I've had my spinning wheel for at least a month now, so I thought it was time to mention it, lol! Here is a picture of Michael pretending to use it-


See my yarny house? I think it's pretty obvious what I like to do. Anyway, using a wheel is so much easier than using a drop spindle! There is a learning process that is still going on, but I'm making much prettier yarns now. Here are a couple of my first attempts-









I have gotten better tho. Here is the one I'm most proud of so far-

 I think it looks like gold thread wa spun around it. This one was "Navajo Plied" which means I plied it with itself by a series of loops. I'm really liking the effect you get with that.. Unfortunately it cuts your yardage by a third. So I can't use it as often as I would like. I have to have a lot of one particular fiber to do it. I've also found that it works better with acrylic than wool. I'm not a huge fan of Thick and Thin, but it's probably the best way to go with wool (at least for me right now). I tend to spin at an average thickness that is a little less than worsted weight.

Guess I better get back to sleep now (it's almost 2:30am here). Have a wonderful day tomorrow, wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment